Popular Posts

Saturday 27 August 2011

Elephant gives himself a dust bath in amazing set of photographs taken in national park



This African elephant was caught looking rather sheepish as he appears to be covered in a woolly coat as he gives himself a refreshing dust bath.
The wild elephants of Kenya's Amboseli National Park cake themselves in dirt to protect their hides from insects and the intense heat.
The amazing shot was taken by amateur photographer Marina Cano, who has recently returned from a three week holiday in Africa.

Woolly mammoth: This elephant was caught looking a little sheepish as he gave himself a dust bath
Woolly mammoth: This elephant was caught looking a little sheepish as he gave himself a dust bath

Stamping his authority: A huge male elephant stands his ground as the rest of his herd emerge out of the dusty mist
Stamping his authority: A huge male elephant stands his ground as the rest of his herd emerge out of the dusty mist

Dedicated Marina camped out in the wilds and used a long lens so she could capture the animals during their most intimate moments without disturbing them.
Another moving photograph shows a baby elephant, who had got lost, tugging on its mother's truck moments after they were reunited.
And in another shot a fearsome male elephants stamps on the ground as the rest of his herd emerge from a cloud of dust.

Hold on mum: A baby elephant is reunited with its mother after getting lost amongst the herd
Hold on mum: A baby elephant is reunited with its mother after getting lost amongst the herd

Marina, from Santander, Spain, said: 'I've been a photographer for 25 years but don't get the chance to travel as much as I'd like.
'But for this collection I spent a week in South Africa taking pictures, and another two weeks in Kenya - although it was more like ten days holiday with four days travelling on the terrible roads.
'I spent two days taking the elephant pictures in Amboseli, two days and a half in Masai Mara and a day in Nakuru Lake.
'I would spend the whole day shooting the wildlife, from 6.30am to 6.30pm, and then select my favourite ones.
'It was an amazing experience. The animals were so beautiful and I loved taking their pictures.
'I thought they would be wary of me, but they weren't bothered about human beings at all. Besides, I was safely in a car most of the time.
'I could have stayed there forever, it was really wonderful. I hope I'll get a chance to go back again.'


by dailymail.co.uk

No comments:

Post a Comment